Don’t worry – It’s Compatible.
If you’re anxious to try out the newly released Windows 10 Technical Preview but smart enough to test it in a virtual environment beforehand, you may have had issues installing Guest Additions. The good news is that the fix is extremely straight forward and simple. You simply need to run the Guest Additions install in compatibility mode. Super User Journeyman Geek answers the issue with this animated GIF.
Installing Guest Additions on Windows 10
- Install Guest Additions by opening selecting Devices and clicking “Insert Guest Additions CD Image”.
- Navigate to “This PC” and open the VirtualBox Disk.
- Right click the install and select Properties
- Select the Compatibility tab.
- Check the box in Compatibility Mode and from the drop-down menu, select Windows 8.
- Click apply and run the software.
This work around is not without its quirks but it should hold you over until an update is released. There you have it, How-to install Guest Additions on Windows 10.